That’s what we’re starting today, the Thriller and I. Nineteen years in the books. Crazy, man.
And he hasn’t run out of the house and into the street screaming yet. Imagine that. Life is not easy with the likes of me, what with shows taking me away from home regularly during the school year, my being the quintessential insecure artist train wreck, and generally functioning as his polar opposite in many ways:
- I could leave the dishes in the sink overnight and not think about it for two more days. He has to have them taken care of.
- I’d let the laundry pile up and do it once a week. He likes to keep at it so it’s always at a minimum.
- I’m an avid reader; he’d rather watch TV for relaxation.
- He likes to put up Christmas lights; I couldn’t care less about it.
- Our politics are not quite aligned.
- He likes ghostie and Bigfoot shows, while I think they’re ridiculous (and he likely thinks the same about all my crazy dramas on the DVR, but doesn’t feel the need to poke fun at them…hmmm…I need to work on that).
- He’s a processor; a thinker. He’s good with numbers. I’m…well, everything that’s not that.
- Basically, he’s this and I’m this.
That said, we do share a lot of likes and dislikes:
- We’re both picky eaters (he even more than I, if my family can imagine that)
- We love to play video poker
- Chocolate covered cherries are a food group, and so is anything drowning in hot fudge
- Road trips are the best; the longer, the better
- Camping is for the young, and for those who don’t mind mosquitoes, rock-hard sleeping surfaces, sweating and getting filthy — um, yeah
- We adore our grandchildren
- We aspire to the same retirement goals (new house, some more travel)
- We both love dogs
Right now, we’re preparing for a stay-at-home celebration of ordering food in and watching a movie on PPV, maybe. Or perhaps we’ll have some fun chatting over dinner, then he’ll go watch the Blackhawks and I’ll do some reading or Dinner Theatre prep. It doesn’t have to be a crazy party to be a joyeaux célébration. Regardless, it’s been a real nice clambake over the last 19+ years. Hugs and love to the Thriller, and happy NYE to all of you!