Well, here we are.
Hello, fiends — I know it’s been a while. I’d imagine that many of us are in varying stages of rumination/reflection about the past year, and I’m no exception.
I’d be fibbing if I said my 2018 wasn’t a difficult one. It’s taken me a full year to acclimate myself to this new life I never asked for, and I guess I’ll always be in a state of adjustment, as new experiences bring new memories. But at least the memories are fond.
The new year is already presenting some difficulties, but I am resolved to handle them with all the grace and self-control I can scrape together. How about you?
I’ve generally found that new year’s resolutions put pressure on me I’d rather not self-inflict. So, I’ve generally stayed away from them (except maybe for here, and here, and oh, here). Truthfully, I can’t even think of one I’d like to make that would be “new,” and not a continuation of stuff I’ve already been working on (being kinder to myself, saving more money, losing weight, blah blah…).
So, what to do? Just continue to live as conscientiously and happily as we can, given our circumstances. Hmmm. New Year’s Continuing Resolutions? I like the sound of it. I now own it.
New Year’s Continuing Resolutions©
- Be kind.
- Forgive people — even those who neither ask for, nor think they need, forgiveness from you. (This one’s a tuffy.)
- Eat wisely, but well. Stop stressing over every calorie.
- Stop being so dang negative about everything, for cripesake. Look for the good.
- Realize that positive thought and sunny outlook are not gifts for the few; they’re habits worth developing.
- Pay stuff forward.
- Learn to say “no” without the obligatory accompanying personal identity crisis.
- Make plans (to travel!) and practice discipline in saving money to realize them.
Got any to add?
As always, thank you for reading and going on my silly journeys with me. I should write to you more often. It makes me happy!